Calamari. To eat or not to eat? that is the question!

Calamari. To eat or not to eat? that is the question!

Sunday 10 April 2011

Australian Bass

My wrist hasn't been this sore in ages and it's not because I'm working away from my mrs at the moment. No, it's because I've been getting wacked by big bass all day. Recent floods have devastated Brisbane but if the smiles of the young kids i saw today catching bass after bass are anything to go by then they are certainly moving forward.
With every dam in the Brisbane region over capacity the bass have managed to get themselves into the joining creeks and rivers and are there in big numbers.

Previously to the last two days bass fishing, being a Victorian, my only knowledge of bass was that is fished for by people wearing shirts with more advertising on them than your average NASCAR driver, using 1/2 pound line with these big spinny things as lures. Don't get me wrong, I've caught plenty of bass, I've even won tournaments...... On the playstation. Anyway I was to be proven extremely wrong. I saw a young 3 year old girl today catch a 40cm+ bass today on a garden worm with 20 pound line. It really was great to see so many young kids enjoying the fruits of a well stocked and maintained fishery. I was pretty light on for lures as I found out a new strategy Brisbane tackle shops are using to sell more lures. "oh mate, let me show u a new way to tie you leader on to your new reel." I'd stopped listening after the 3rd triple twist and 78 turns later I had my new wiz bang leader knot which conveniantly slipped as I cast my $25 lure in. Business savy. so I even jumped on the garden worm band wagon and ripped in a few.

After playing around with the kids catching bass after bass on a brown worm soft plastic with a jig head spinner the afternoon was upon me and it was time to chase the real stuff up at the spill way. Never catching anything on a popper before I was really excited. First cast in and my lure got smashed off the surface by a 45cm bass and that was to be the first of many. My popper looked like a dazed fish falling over the spillway and the waiting fish were as keen as a college school girl to give it a go. I had a ball watching my purple popper getting ripped off the surface time and time again until the all mighty bass took it away from me.

I felt like my dog had died. Like I was in detention and little Jimmy was kissing my girlfriend and getting to first base before me. I even considered what body part I could sacrifice to remake a popper. But I conceded. I had had an absolute ball and sat there for a few minutes to reflect on how beautiful it was and that god dam bass had my lure. I was going to retire it....

T-dogg & Stinga

facebook t-dogg & stinga
Twitter @TDOGGandSTINGA

No comments:

Post a Comment